Thursday, December 20, 2012

What if God wrestled The Rock instead of Jacob?

Yes, I stood in line starting at 5AM in Puyallup, Washington to get tickets to see The Rock perform at WWE Monday Night Raw in 1999.  No, I did not make a poster board sign.  Yes, I did dress up in a costume...or what I thought was a costume...before I arrived.  No, I did not stand out in the least bit.  It seems that there is a fine line between monster truck racing and WWE Wrestling clientele.  The latter certainly have a more disciplined fan base.  The reason for my commitment was simple.  My roommates and I...these are my pre-married days...loved to watch pro-wrestling.  I mean, we loved it.  We had our favorites.  My roommates were both former high school football players and certainly knew how to holler!

Upon attending the raucous, my spirits were dashed a bit.  You are not going to believe this, but I don't think that they are really wrestling?!?  It was funny, actually.  My friends and I had way more fun watching other people than we did watching....um...the show.

The Rock came into the Tacoma Dome toward the end of the performance, danced around, got the crowd into a frenzy and then yelled into the microphone, "...know your role and shut your mouth!"  To which the crowd screamed with approval.  I laughed quite loud at the sheer irony of the moment.

I love this line.  I love it because it sounds like something Jesus would have said.  There are so many times when we are called to obedience and we let it terrify us.  We think obedience is cowardice or blind surrender.  This couldn't be further from the truth.  Look at St. Joseph...his step son and wife were perfect.  How was leading grace at the dinner table for that guy?  How do you think he felt about being a provider to those two?  How much do you think he wanted to run ahead to Bethlehem and secure a room knowing they would be taken and his pregnant wife would be sleeping in a cave?  Have you ever tried to go camping with a woman that is nine months pregnant?  Do you have a death wish?  Sorry, I digress.

Joseph obeyed.  In the face of social failure and ridicule he married a pregnant teenager.  He fled to a foreign land and established a household to form the adolescent Son of Man because God asked him to.  How many of us can say we would do the same?

Jesus wants our love and obedience.  He knows what we are going to say before we say it.  He knows are hearts.  If you are having a hard time knowing your role, take time for silence.  If your are living a life of defiance, submit to his will. If you need to wrestle with him this holiday season, go for it. He is the creator of the universe.  I'm pretty sure he can handle you.  He did nickname James and John "The Thunder Boys."  Who knows, maybe they went a couple of rounds?

No comments:

Post a Comment