Thursday, December 13, 2012

Keanu Reeves and the giving spirit of Christmas

When I was a teenager, all I really did was drink Mountain Dew, rollerblade and underachieve at school.  I was an A and F student.  If I liked it I got the good grade.  If I didn't like it, well, you get the picture.  I lied a lot.  Somehow I thought this was a good way to control my environment.  I had great friends, some believers and some not.  I did theater and speech and debate.  I did not really get along with my dad.  My mom and I were cool, but I'm sure I drove her crazy.  Picture Keanu Reeves a little bit better dressed. My universe pretty much existed two feet from my face, unless I found a phone booth of course (movie reference I hope you get).

Last night I was working with a local youth ministry group.  A beautiful athletic and popular teenage girl stood up at the end of the night and made a plea.  "I volunteer at an elementary school everyday after school helping little kids read," she said.  "Last week one of the little girls I work with lost her house."  "Her Christmas tree caught fire and the family lost everything."  The room was silent.  The young woman let everyone know that she was arranging a fundraiser and needed their help.  "I can't do this by myself," the girl said.

A moving moment, to be sure.  But, I was struck by much more.  As a teenage boy, I was not a complete idiot when it came to others needs.  However, I can tell you, I was pretty good at ignoring them.  I never had the confidence or desire to give of my self to others. I love that in this generation of young people there is not only desire, but the need to serve.  Help isn't coming just from a place of resume builder and college application fill in the blank.  Help is coming from the heart.

Young people are amazing.  If you don't already know this, then you need to read less of the newspaper and encounter actual people more.  If you do know this than you are tracking with a pretty awesome reality.

Ten teenagers or so stood up as they were dismissed and walked over to the young woman.  "What can we do," they asked.  To which she explained in detail a number of ways they could participate in the effort.  Awesome.

Be intentional this holiday season and recognize needs in others.  If you don't see them it is because you are not looking.  Emmanuel came that we might have life and have it to the full.  Christmas time is no time to be incomplete.  And just remember, young people rock.  Get over yourself and lend them your support.

No comments:

Post a Comment