Wednesday, January 23, 2013

Thomas Aquinas and Socrates had jobs, I think?

When I changed my major for the seventh time in college, my dad, understandably, was a bit annoyed.  My parents had saved money and were generously helping my siblings and I through the collegiate experience.  I was a Psychology major then Sociology, History, Communications, Public Relations, Secondary Education, Elementary Education and finally Theology and Philosophy.  Yes, you can get a degree with a double major in unemployment.

Christmas break came and my dad sat me down.  He asked, "How do you ever expect to get a job studying Theology and Philosophy!"  My witty 19 year old self replied..."Dude, you don't go to college to get a job, you do it to get an education."  "Thomas Aquinas and Socrates had jobs, er, I think?" After my dad recovered from me calling him "dude," he rolled his eyes and exhaled a breath of disgust.  A pretty healthy argument ensued.

Fast forward six years...

My parents helped me move into my second youth ministry position.  I am managing a two-hundred person youth group at a thousand plus family parish in Sumner, Wa.  My dad asks me, "So when are you going to get a real job?"  I responded with a pony tail to the middle of my back and a pair of Birkenstocks on my feet, "Um, not cool dad." This was actually a pretty good question on my dad's part at the time.

I am a dreamer and always looking at the pretty grass on the other side.  I am generally convinced that there is alway more.  In ministry I have never ignored the demands of my current reality, but I certainly seem to stare into the distance longingly a great deal of the time.

Fast forward three more years...

I bring a group of forty teenagers and adults from the the nine parish youth ministry I now manage to my parents little cabin in Newport, WA for a ski retreat. I ask my dad to cook and be patient.  If you knew him, you would be giggling right now.  A funny thing happens.  In the midst of my enjoying the moment, celebrating young people, developing relationships, praying, listening, laughing and just engaging great youth ministry, something clicks.  My dad and my mom see joy.  They see a career.

Fast forward six more years...

I manage the youth ministry for a Catholic diocese over 55,000 square miles.  We serve over 70,000 people in over 60 different faith communities.  I am responsible for resourcing, supporting, visioning, engaging, developing and practicing healthy adolescent faith formation for over 12,000 youth.  And, I do it from behind a desk (and in a car most of the time) with one administrative assistant and a heck of a lot of prayer and support.

My parents know that I have a real job.  I have always known this.  When we are young we have a decision to make.  Are we going to pursue a salary and the "security" of economic directive or are we going to face plant ourselves into a life of vocation.  The difference is in the spiritual life.  Are you doing something because you can or are you pursuing something because it is what you were built to do.

My little undergraduate degrees will get me a $2 cup of coffee at Starbucks.  That is, of course, a skim milk latte, but you get the picture.  My career has gotten me a life of challenges, beauty, innovative people skills, management experience, stress, marketing development, joy and a network of thousands of people all over the country.  I wouldn't have it any other way.  The grass may be greener, but I love the field I am in.

2 comments:

  1. I for one am very glad you have followed this road of ministry. My boys, especially the younger, have grown so much with your guidance in all the youth programs and sitting by us at church. I look forward to my daughter also benifiting from all your hard work. Thank you so very much for all that you do. You rock!

    ReplyDelete

  2. I've heard a lot about you, Doug. From different youth ministry friends. Hopefully I can meet you soon! Thank God my parents are supportive of my job...but either way it doesn't matter. God is the man--and he is the one paving my way.

    God is so good! Thank you. Wonderful blog post. This will feed me for awhile...now back to work! :)

    ReplyDelete